March: Beginning My ketoCONTINUUM Journey
This is the second post in my ketoCONTINUUM journey, and I am excited to begin sharing the data, discoveries and changes I am seeing along the way.
My decision to begin the ketoCONTINUUM protocol on 9 March did not happen overnight. It came after many months of research, reflection and frustration. I had been trying to understand why I had regained so much weight after initially losing it, and why returning to the same approach that had worked before did not seem to produce the same results.
Moving from urine testing to blood testing
For the three months before beginning ketoCONTINUUM, I had been checking my urine ketones. To my frustration, they continually showed zero. I was eating very low carb, but the urine strips did not appear to reflect what I expected to see.
My GP helped me understand that urine strips do not always tell the full story. They measure ketones being excreted in urine, rather than showing the ketones currently circulating in the blood. It was possible that my body was using the ketones rather than spilling them into my urine.
That conversation encouraged me to take the next step and purchase a blood glucose and ketone monitor. This allows me to test my blood glucose and blood ketones directly, giving me a more useful picture of how my body is responding to food and fasting.
My starting point
My starting weight on 9 March was 82.8 kg (182.5 lb). Before testing my blood for the first time, I had eaten keto for five days, keeping my total carbohydrates under 20 grams per day.
My first morning readings were:
| Measure | Starting result |
|---|---|
| Blood glucose | 6.1 mmol/L |
| Blood ketones | 0.4 mmol/L |
| Dr Boz Ratio | 275 |
| Glucose Ketone Index (GKI) | 15.3 |
The Dr Boz Ratio is calculated by taking a blood glucose, in mg/dL (which is used in some countries like the USA), divided by blood ketones measured in mmol/L.
The Glucose Ketone Index, or GKI, is another way of looking at the relationship between glucose and ketones. I am using both measures as personal tracking tools so that I can observe trends over time.
At this point, I was not discouraged by the numbers. They were simply my starting point: an honest snapshot of where my body was at after years of dieting, weight regain and metabolic.
Sixteen days later
By the end of the month, after 16 days of consistent keto eating, I could already see a change in my readings:
| Measure | After 16 days |
|---|---|
| Blood glucose | 4.7 mmol/L |
| Blood ketones | 1.7 mmol/L |
| Dr Boz Ratio | 50 |
| Glucose Ketone Index (GKI) | 2.8 |
I was encouraged to see my glucose lower and my ketones higher. More importantly, I was beginning to see that the numbers could help me learn about my own body. Rather than guessing whether an approach was working, I could track patterns and make more informed choices.
For those interested in my daily morning numbers here is a list:
| Date | Glucose (mmol/L) |
Ketones (mmol/L) |
GKI | Dr Boz Ratio |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 21 March | 6.1 | 0.4 | 15.3 | 275 |
| 22 March | 4.9 | 0.7 | 7.0 | 126 |
| 23 March | 4.7 | 1.2 | 3.9 | 71 |
| 24 March | 4.4 | 1.3 | 3.4 | 61 |
| 25 March | 4.9 | 1.2 | 4.1 | 74 |
| 26 March | 5.4 | 0.7 | 7.7 | 139 |
| 27 March | 4.9 | 1.5 | 3.3 | 59 |
| 28 March | 4.9 | 1.4 | 3.5 | 63 |
| 29 March | 5.6 | 1.1 | 5.1 | 92 |
| 30 March | 4.6 | 1.2 | 3.8 | 69 |
| 31 March | 4.7 | 1.7 | 2.8 | 50 |
|
Daily glucose, ketone, GKI and Dr Boz Ratio measurements recorded during my KetoCONTINUUM journey throughout April. |
||||
My Weight progress
My weight also changed by 1.8 kg (3.97 pounds). By the end of the month, I weighed 81 kg (178.6 lb). I am grateful for that progress, but I am also reminding myself that the scale is only one measure. Weight will naturally fluctuate, and I do not expect progress to be perfectly linear.
My BMI Progress
At the beginning of this journey, my BMI was 25.3, which placed me in the overweight category. By the end of the month, it had reduced to 24.7—a change of 0.6 and a move into the healthy BMI range. While BMI is only one measure of health and does not show the whole picture, it is a useful marker for me to track alongside my waist measurement, body composition and metabolic data. My personal goal is to reach a BMI of 22, while continuing to focus on improved metabolic health rather than the scale alone.
Looking ahead
This first month has been about beginning: beginning to test, beginning to understand my numbers and beginning to see my health through a wider lens. I am learning that this journey is not about quick fixes. It is about patience, consistency and becoming more curious about what helps my body function well.
Over the coming months, I will continue to share my glucose and ketone trends, weight changes, DEXA results, food experiments and the lessons I learn along the way. This is my personal journey, not medical advice, but I hope my willingness to share it honestly encourages others who may also be seeking better metabolic health.
March was the beginning. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.



Comments
Post a Comment