Disclaimer: This blog is for general information only and is not medical advice. Please see your own GP or qualified healthcare professional for advice about your individual needs.

Beyond the Scale: My ketoCONTINUUM Journey

My ketoCONTINUUM Journey: A Year of Data, Discovery and Metabolic Health

I am beginning a year-long personal experiment, and I would love to invite you along for the journey.

This is my ketoCONTINUUM journey: an honest record of what happens when I pay close attention to my health, my food, my habits and the data my body produces. Over the coming year, I will be sharing the wins, the surprises, the difficult moments and the lessons I learn along the way.

For me, this is not about chasing perfection or promoting a one-size-fits-all way of eating. It is about becoming more curious, more informed and more intentional about my own metabolic health. What works for me may not work in exactly the same way for someone else, but I hope that sharing my experience openly will be helpful, encouraging and perhaps thought-provoking.

A warm, sunlit home office workspace illustrating a year-long ketoCONTINUUM journey, featuring journals, handwritten notes, progress charts, books, a laptop displaying a yearly trend graph, glucose and ketone meters, and the title “My ketoCONTINUUM Journey: A Year of Data, Discovery and Metabolic Health.” The image conveys thoughtful learning, data tracking, and metabolic health.

Why I began

This journey began after I was diagnosed with NAFLD, or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. That diagnosis was a significant wake-up call. It prompted me to look beyond the number on the scale and to ask deeper questions about what was happening inside my body.

Two years ago, I had already been on a weight-loss journey. I followed a Mediterranean-style way of eating and lost more than 20 kilograms. I was encouraged by the progress and felt that I had found something sustainable. However, after adding small amounts of rice or potato back into my meals two or three times a week, I regained more than 15 kilograms in less than a year.

What was especially frustrating was that, when I returned to the same eating pattern that had previously helped me lose weight, the weight did not respond in the same way. I struggled to get it moving again. I knew I needed to understand more than simply “eat less and move more.” I wanted answers about why my body seemed to react so strongly to certain foods and why it had become harder to make progress.

That search led me to Dr Ben Bikman’s teaching, including Why We Get Sick. It helped me begin to understand insulin resistance and metabolic health in a new way. From there, I discovered Dr Boz, whose teaching helped me see that I was not simply dealing with a willpower problem or a number on a scale. I was metabolically unwell, and I needed to work on changing my chemistry and supporting healing from the inside out.

What I will be tracking

Over the next year, I will be testing my blood glucose and blood ketones daily, measured in mmol/L. I am not looking for perfect numbers every day. Instead, I want to observe trends over time and learn how different foods, routines, travel, stress, sleep and life events affect me personally.

I am especially interested in learning how my body responds to foods that may seem harmless in small amounts. We are all different, and I have learned that a food that works well for one person may produce a very different response in another. Tracking glucose and ketones will give me a clearer picture of my own patterns rather than relying only on assumptions.

I will also be tracking my daily weight. Not because I believe weight is the most important measure of health, but because I want to show the reality of the process: weight loss is not linear. Bodies fluctuate. Water shifts. Hormones, sleep, travel, stress and food can all influence the scale. A daily number may rise or fall, but the longer-term trend is what matters.

Looking beyond the scale

When I first began trying to lose weight, I was focused on reaching a particular kilogram number. Over time, I have come to understand that the scale is only one small metric. My deeper goal is metabolic health.

For me, that includes moving toward a healthy BMI, improving my waist-to-height measurement and reducing visceral fat. Visceral fat is the fat stored around internal organs, and it matters far more to me than simply fitting into a smaller clothing size. I want to see changes that reflect improved health beneath the surface, not merely changes that are visible from the outside.

To help measure those changes, I will be having DEXA scans at roughly three-month intervals. I will use the same location and the same technician wherever possible, because consistency matters when comparing data over time. These scans will allow me to look beyond body weight and gain a clearer view of body composition, including fat mass, lean mass and visceral fat.

I will share those results as part of this series—not as a performance report, but as another piece of the picture. The goal is to learn, observe and remain honest about what is changing and what still needs attention.

An invitation to follow along

This will be a real-life journey, not a polished before-and-after story. There will be moments when the numbers are encouraging and moments when they are confusing. There may be travel, celebrations, experiments with food, fasting, changes in routine and unexpected setbacks. I want to make space for all of it.

I will be sharing what I am learning month by month: my glucose and ketone trends, DEXA results, weight patterns, blood-test updates, food experiments and reflections on how I feel. Most importantly, I will share the bigger lesson I am learning—that health is not built through one perfect meal, one perfect week or one number on a scale.

This is my personal experiment. It is not medical advice, and it is not a prescription for anyone else. It is simply my attempt to listen more closely to my body, make informed choices and pursue better metabolic health one day at a time.

If you are curious about your own health journey, if you have ever felt frustrated by the scale, or if you are simply interested in what happens when someone begins paying attention to the data, I hope you will join me. This is the beginning of my ketoCONTINUUM journey—and I am looking forward to discovering where it leads.

Follow Along: The Year Ahead

Here is a preview of the monthly reflections, data updates and lessons I will be sharing throughout my ketoCONTINUUM journey. 

My ketoCONTINUUM Journey

  1. March: Beginning My ketoCONTINUUM Journey
  2. April: Establishing My Baseline—My First DEXA Scan
  3. May: Learning What My Numbers Are Telling Me
  4. June: Beyond the Scale—Early Changes I’m Noticing
  5. July: Dairy, Fasting and a Follow-Up DEXA Scan
  6. August: Taking ketoCONTINUUM Overseas—Keto in New Zealand and Rarotonga
  7. September: Finding My Rhythm Again After Travel
  8. October: Looking Beneath the Surface—My DEXA Update
  9. November: Strength, Energy and Metabolic Health—What My Blood Tests Reveal
  10. December: Navigating Celebrations Without Losing My Way
  11. January: A New Year, Continuing the Journey
  12. February: Pausing to Notice How Far I’ve Come
  13. March: One Year Since I Began—What This Journey Has Taught Me
  14. April: One Year On—My Final DEXA and What Changed

Comments

Important safety information: Nutritional ketosis, which may occur with carbohydrate restriction or fasting, is not the same as diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). DKA is a serious medical emergency that requires urgent care. If you have diabetes; kidney or liver disease; are pregnant or breastfeeding; or take medication that affects blood glucose, speak with a qualified healthcare professional before making dietary changes. ALL articles are intended for general information only and do not replace personalised medical advice.